Black Panthers at Merritt College (KRON) (Updated over a year ago)
Note: we have 2 other clips in DIVA which cover this story: KPIX 31805 and KRON 310-3. KRON-TV news footage from July 5th 1967 featuring a press conference about the need for a Black History curriculum at Merritt College in Oakland being interrupted by a scuffle between a white student and members of the Black Panther Party (Oakland Chapter). Also includes scenes from the resumed press conference in which Sid Walton reflects on what happened and the meaning of 'Black Power." Bobby Seale states that: "One of our principles of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense is that if anyone attacks us we'll certainly act in self defense. And we intend to wipe out our agressor ... resolutely, wholly, thoroughly and completely. Now from here on in it goes ... We had a Nazi over here agitating brother Curtis Baker here. He started to agitating brother Curtis Baker, interrupted and called the brother nigger. You start messin around with the Panthers like that ... I'm sorry, he's gettin his ass kicked!" Opening graphic designed by Carrie Hawks.
Added to San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive on February 16, 2016.
- Originally aired on: KRON-TV
- Date aired: 7/5/1967
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w negative magnetic sound film
- Rights for this video belong to: Young Broadcasting of San Francisco, Inc.
- Duration: 8:45
- Type of material: local newsfilm
- KRON 310-3.2.mp4 (137.60 MB – MPEG4 video)
- KRON 310-3.jpg (125.53 KB – JPEG image)
- Views: 1464 (1462 for this version)