A student reading in their dorm room
A San Francisco State student reading in their dorm room. Mary Ward Hall and Merced Hall (Mary Park) were opened to student residents in 1960.
Built in 1960, Mary Park Hall was originally named Merced Hall. Designed by the University architect Anson Boyd, Merced hall was initially the men’s dormitory. In 1968, it became the first dorm on campus to go co-ed. In 1981, Merced Hall was renamed Mary Park Hall after the retirement of the beloved custodian known as “Mother Mary”, who took care of the building and its residents for many years. Mary Park is the only building not named after a faculty member and still serves as a residence hall today.
Mary Ward hall was designed by university architect Anson Boyd and was completed in 1960. It was named after the first Dean of Women and Acting President in 1927.
- Geographic Coverage
- San Francisco State University
- Temporal Coverage
- still image
- 35mm slide