Residence Hall parking lot
A photograph of State Drive in 1981. This parking lot was in the center of all the residence halls. Verducci Hall is on the left, Mary Ward Hall is in the center, and Mary Park on the right. In the center is where the Towers and Seven Hills Conference center would be built in 1990.
Verducci Hall was a dormitory that housed 763 students a year from 1969 to 1989. It was named after S.F. State football coach, athletic director, and mayor of Daly City Joe Verducci. Following the 6.9 magnitude Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, the building was deemed structurally unsound and was closed to students. On March 28th, 1999 it was demolished in front of hundreds of spectators. Shortly after, construction of the Village at Centennial Square began to provide a new housing option for students.
Built in 1960, Mary Park Hall was originally named Merced Hall. Designed by the University architect Anson Boyd, Merced Hall was initially the men’s dormitory. In 1968, it became the first dorm on campus to go co-ed. In 1981, Merced Hall was renamed Mary Park Hall after the retirement of the beloved custodian known as “Mother Mary," who took care of the building and its residents for many years. Mary Park is the only building not named after a faculty member and still serves as a residence hall today.
Mary Ward Hall was designed by University architect Anson Boyd and was completed in 1960. It was named after the first Dean of Woman and Acting President in 1927.
- Geographic Coverage
- San Francisco, California
- Temporal Coverage
- still image
- 35mm slide