Entrance to St. Mary's Park - 1975

About This Item

Marker reads, "St. Mary's College. In August 1863, Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany, O.P., opened St. Mary's College at this location with a faculty of 2 Diocesan Priests, 4 laymen and 2 student teachers. In August 1868, at the invitation of the Archbishop, Brother Justin McMahon and 7 Christian brothers took charge of St. Mary's. The Christian Brothers have manifested the Christian principles characterized by the best education institutions: Excellence. California Registered Historical Landmark No. 772. Plaque placed by the California Park Commission in cooperation with St. Mary's College, its alumni, and the California Historical Society. September 29th, 1962." In 1880, the college moved to Oakland, until 1928 when it moved to Moraga, its current location. Photo by Pat Albers, student.

Created by
Kirkberg, Max
Date
1975-12
Slide ID
BHsw-College-200-03
Type
35 mm slide
Format
TIFF
Source
Max Kirkeberg Collection
San Francisco State University
Locale
San Francisco, California
Rights
Public
Views
954

Related Items

Comments

There are not yet any comments on this bundle. Be the first to comment!

Add comment