District Health Center #1 at 17th Street and Pond Street - 1994

About This Item

The first district health center opened in 1965 when the city expected the clientele to be predominantly Latino. This was a serendipitous location in light of the AIDS crises impacting the gay community in the Castro District the 1980s. In 1994, the clients were 75% HIV positive (not all were gay) and 35% were Spanish-speaking. Activities focus on HIV patients; it was the first place in the country to provide confidential testing for HIV. They also provided a social services coordinator and counselor serving HIV positive and gay clients. The center also provided blood drawing services for San Francisco General Hospital and follow up services for clients. The non-AIDS activities focused on teens, women's, and children's services.

Created by
Kirkeberg, Max
Date
3/12/94
Slide ID
EV-17th-3800-03
Type
35 mm slide
Format
TIFF
Source
Max Kirkeberg Collection
Locale
San Francisco, California
Rights
Public
Views
1143

Related Items

Comments

Thank you from It Nirmansfor sharing such a beautiful post.

Add comment