John Hawkes, Herbert Kubly, Wright Morris: March 12, 1965 (Updated over a year ago)
The Poetry Center, in association with the Contemporary Arts Festival, presents novelists John Hawkes, Herbert Kubly, and Wright Morris reading from their works.
John Hawkes (00:32:37)Click here to listen to this audio file
John Hawkes reads from selected works, and speaks on the different forms of destruction and cannibalism.
Herbert Kubly (00:35:55)Click here to listen to this audio file
Herbert Kubly reads excerpts from The Whistling Zone.
Wright Morris (00:26:30)Click here to listen to this audio file
Wright Morris reads from his novel One Day. The tape begins mid-reading.
John Keene: October 29, 2015 John Keene with Tân Khánh Cao: October 30, 2015 Carolina De Robertis and Micah Perks: November 3, 2016 Okey Ndibe: February 12, 2015 Benjamin Hollander Memorial Tribute: February 5, 2017
- Originally Recorded By: APA
- Location: Gallery Lounge, SFSC, San Francisco, CA
- Date: 03/12/1965
- Total Run Time: 01:24:59
- Contributor: James Schevill
- James Schevill introduces John Hawkes, Herbert Kubly, and Wright Morris (00:01)
- Remarks on background information and themes of "The Cannibal" , "The Beetle Leg" , and "The Second Skin" and discusses visionary fiction and foreign languages (02:45)
- from "The Cannibal" (05:00)
- Provides further background information and themes of "The Cannibal" and "The Beetle Leg" (07:00)
- from "The Beetle Leg" (10:24)
- Remarks on the background, characters, and symbols of "The Beetle Leg" , "The Lime Twig" , and "Second Skin" (18:00)
- from "Second Skin" (25:20)
- Remarks on the production of "The Whistling Zone" and its themes, setting, and characters. (00:05)
- from "The Whistling Zone" (01:49)
- from "One Day" (00:01)
ContentMaterial for download
HawkesJohn19650312DIG.mp3 (29.94 MB – MP3 audio)
KulbyHerbert19650312DIG.mp3 (32.96 MB – MP3 audio)
MorrisWright19650312DIG.mp3 (24.33 MB – MP3 audio)
- Downloads: 155 (155 for this version)
- Listens: 795 (795 for this version)
CollectionsThis material is part of the Poetry Center Digital Archive currated collections:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Non Commercial- ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. For all other uses please email The Poetry Center.