Willie Mays Buys A House in Sherwood Forest
KPIX Eyewitness News report from November 14th 1957 featuring an interview with New York Giants baseball star Willie Mays, who is relocating with the team to San Francisco next year. Mays had recently put in an offer to buy a home in the Sherwood Forest neighborhood of San Francisco, which the owner initially accepted. Neighbors complained that if an African American family moved into the area, house prices would fall, so the owner refused to proceed. However, in the face of adverse publicity over his decision, the owner finally agreed to sell at the original price of $37,500. Mays explains that: "It was a disappointment to me because I didn't figure I would have this much trouble trying to buy a place. That's why when I go looking for a house, I don't worry about who living besides me."
Added to Bay Area Television Archive on April 16, 2015.
- Type of material: archival newsfilm
- Duration: 2:39
- Rights for this video belong to: CBS5 KPIX-TV
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w, co-magnetic sound film
- Date aired: 11/14/57
- Originally aired on: KPIX-TV
- KPIX 2489.mp4 (21.59 MB – MPEG4 video)
- Views: 6290 (2933 for this version)