Lulu the Elephant Arrives At Zoo (Updated a year ago)
KPIX Eyewitness News report from April 2nd 1968 by Pat O'Brien at Fleishacker Zoo in San Francisco, featuring the arrival of Lulu the elephant from Swaziland (Africa). Lulu was purchased for $4000 to keep another elephant Maybelle company, after her companion Judy died. Includes views of Lulu walking around her enclosure, of Maybelle and an interview with Lulu's keeper John Long, who remarks that she is understandably nervous. Maybelle lived until 2004 and Lulu was transferred from San Francisco to the ARK 2000 sanctuary in San Andreas on March 10th 2005 (Calaveras County, CA), where she still lives as of June 2011. It should be noted that the Fleishacker Zoo was renamed the San Francisco Zoological Gardens.
Added to San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive on March 9, 2015.
- Type of material: archival newsfilm
- Duration: 1:25
- Rights for this video belong to: CBS5 KPIX-TV
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w, co-magnetic silent/sound film
- Date aired: 4/2/1968
- Originally aired on: KPIX-TV
- KPIX 35073.mp4 (14.22 MB – MPEG4 video)
- Views: 5868 (2188 for this version)