Earl Van Best in Court
KPIX news report from August 31st 1962, featuring brief/silent views of Earl Van Best standing before a judge in San Francisco, for sentencing. Van Best was being tried for the offence of eloping to Reno with 13 year old Judy Chandler. As the couple had originally met in San Francisco, in front of Herbert’s Sherbet Shoppe on 9th and Judah in October of 1961, the media referred to this as 'The Ice Cream Romance'. Note: in his book 'The Most Dangerous Animal of All', Van Best's biological son Gary L. Stewart claims that Van Best was in fact the notorious Zodiac Killer.
Added to Bay Area Television Archive on March 26, 2017.
- Type of material: archival newsfilm
- Duration: 0:17
- Rights for this video belong to: CBS5 KPIX-TV
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w, silent film
- Date aired: 8/31/1962
- Originally aired on: KPIX-TV
- KPIX 16426.mp4 (3.54 MB – MPEG4 video)
- Views: 24456 (3680 for this version)