Mario Savio, Jack Weinberg & Free Speech Movement Victory (Updated over a year ago)
KRON News report from December 8th 1964 by Art Brown outside UC Berkeley's Sproul Hall, featuring speeches by the Free Speech Movement leaders Mario Savio and Jack Weinberg. Also includes views of large crowds singing "Happy Birthday" to Savio and a man presenting him with a gift set of clip-on ties, explaining how these will be useful when confronting police who want to arrest him. Savio had been dragged off the Greek Theater's stage yesterday by police (whilst wearing a tie). It should be noted that UC Berkeley's Academic Senate met earlier on the 8th and voted 824 to 115 for the five-point proposal made by the Committee on Academic Freedom against control of student speech and political advocacy.
Added to San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive on March 7, 2014.
- Originally aired on: KRON-TV
- Date aired: 12/8/1964
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w negative, magnetic sound film
- Rights for this video belong to: Young Broadcasting of San Francisco, Inc.
- Duration: 6:02
- Type of material: archival newsfilm
- KRON 565-3.mp4 (95.83 MB – MPEG4 video)
- Views: 2205 (1696 for this version)