Community Press Conference about the Bayview Uprising (Updated a year ago)
KRON News footage from October 10th 1966 featuring a press conference in San Francisco's Bayview Hunters Point, less than two weeks after a major social uprising in the neighborhood caused the Governor to call out the National Guard. One spokesman states: "I really want all the young and old people alike to have what we need out here: recreation, jobs. I mean that's a lot, that helps a lot. It's a lot of people just can't get jobs, so they'll go out and do things wrong to try and help their families. You might think it's bad and wrong. It is. But they have no other way of gettin' it, so they go out and do wrong things." Another suggests that some progress has been made as a result of the uprising, if only in that people are now listening to community grievances. Opening graphic designed by Carrie Hawks.
Added to San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive on November 10, 2015.
- Type of material: local newsfilm
- Duration: 2:24
- Rights for this video belong to: Young Broadcasting of San Francisco, Inc.
- Recording medium: 16mm b&w negative sound film
- Date aired: 10/10/1966
- Originally aired on: KRON-TV
- KRON 1565-5.mp4 (24.72 MB – MPEG4 video)
- KRON 1565-5-still.jpg (172.89 KB – JPEG image)
- Views: 451 (451 for this version)