U.S. Prisoners of War Return To Travis Air Force Base (Updated a year ago)
KRON-TV News footage from March 17th 1973 featuring scenes of Lt. Colonel Robert L. Stirm and others arrriving home at Travis Air Force Base in Solano County, after spending years as prisoners of war in North Vietnam. These U.S. servicemen were released as part of Operation Homecoming and Stirm's family reunion on the tarmac was captured by Associated Press photographer Slava "Sal" Veder, in a Pulitzer Prize winning photograph called 'Burst of Joy'. Includes views of other servicemen greeting their family and a brief interview with Stirm. If anyone can positively identify the other servicemen seen in this clip, please contact our film archivist. Opening graphic designed by Carrie Hawks.
Tags: kron 3279-10
Added to San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive on January 18, 2017.
- Originally aired on: KRON-TV
- Date aired: 3/17/1973
- Recording medium: 16mm color magentic sound film
- Rights for this video belong to: Young Broadcasting of San Francisco, Inc.
- Duration: 1:25
- Type of material: local newsfilm
- KRON 3279-10.mp4 (25.32 MB – MPEG4 video)
- KRON 3279-10.jpg (140.56 KB – JPEG image)
- Views: 917 (910 for this version)