Photograph of the faculty at San Francisco State Normal School in 1906. Seated front: Mary Ward (Math, graduate of Normal School) and Miss Wilson; second row Walter J. Kenyon (Manual Training, Geography & Drawing), unknown, Dr. Frederic Burk (founding President), Effie B. McFadden (Biological Science), David Riis Jones (Math); third row: Frank F. Bunder, Elsie Brumbaugh, Eloise Harrison, F. A. Wagner (Physical Sciences); back row: unknown, Ruth Lynch, and Eva Levy (Music, graduate of Normal School), and unknown.
This photograph depicts faculty and students at San Francisco State Normal School in 1914. Faculty pictured includes Dr. Frederic Burk (founding President), Effie B. McFadden (Biological Science), David Riis Jones (Math), and Adelyn Brickley (Geography).
The Ritual of the Teachers' Guild Service was an elaborate graduation ceremony for San Francisco State Teachers' College that was held at the Greek Theater at the University of California, Berkeley on Sunday, June 1, 1924. This image is from the published program (page 31) with the caption, 'O come to me, ye children.' The opposite page in the booklet contains the 'Teachers' Creed.' Although the number of graduates from this class was small, about six thousand spectators came so witness the spectacle.
President Alexander Roberts and a female student light the fire to burn the old shacks at San Francisco State Teachers' College in October 1929. The shacks included the cafeteria, home economics, and the lunchroom.
Students search the rubble for souvenirs after the burning the old shacks at San Francisco State Teachers' College in October 1929. The shacks included the cafeteria, home economics, and the lunchroom.
SFSC President Alexander C. Roberts and Senator John F. Shelley (1905-1974) officiate the groundbreaking ceremony San Francisco State College's future campus adjacent to Lake Merced. Over one thousand students attended the event despite rainy weather. The College Band and A Cappella Choir performed while Roberts turned the first shovel of earth.
Lew Jost and Ed Pierce talk to Ed Smith (right) near Anderson Hall on the San Francisco State College's Buchanan Street campus. Smith was the Representative for the Associated Men's Students in student government. This image also appears in the 1939 Franciscan on page 15.
With funding from the National Youth Administration, SFSC students were hired to clear willow trees and brush from the future site of San Francisco State College in February 1940. Students earned 25 cents per hour. SFSC President Alexander C. Roberts is seen in the center of the photograph kneeling.
During World War II, students balanced work and school with civic wartime efforts. The American Red Cross organized on campus in 1943 under the direction of President Alexander C. Robert's wife. The San Francisco State chapter opened its doors every Tuesday and Friday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm in order to provide a place for students, faculty, and parents to sew and make gifts for servicemen and women.
Lilliput participants explore the campus gardens while parents are in class. The Associated Students organized a childcare center in 1970, known as Lilliput, which was located adjacent to the Dining Center.
Photograph of female student working on a project in the Wheeled Mobility Center that was established at San Francisco State University by Engineering professors Ralf Hotchkiss and Peter Phaelzer in 1989.